About this site
This site aims to present different aspects about research methods. The site is maintained by Ronny Gunnarsson (MD PhD, Adjunct Professor in General Practice at Gothenburg University, Sweden). Ronny has written most pages (author name is on top of all pages) and also created and maintained a similar Swedish site since 1998: Infovoice.se/fou. The plan is to translate more material from the Swedish site and at the same time update it.
Finding what you look for
Use the drop down menus at the top to find what you are looking for. You can click on any item in the drop down menus, even intermediate items linking to further child-items. Another alternative is to use the “Search” box at the top of each page. A third option is to ask Ronny.
Several pages on this site has embedded educational videos. Hence, the name Science Network TV. I will make a few of these videos myself. However, there is also a lot of good videos on the net and I will link in some of these as well. Videos are not directly stored on our server. They reside on YouTube, Vimeo or similar platforms and are embedded on this site.
Videos on this site are by default shown within a frame of limited size. However, after clicking on play you can at the bottom right corner click on a full screen icon (a square) to activate full screen mode. If you don’t like the full screen mode click “Esc” on the keyboard to go back.
Sometimes a video frequently stops. The reason may be that your Internet connection is not quick enough. If that is the case then the solution is to pause the video for a while (5-10 minutes) letting the computer download a piece of the remaining video before you click on play. If it again stops after a while you may have to repeat this. If the reason is that your computer is too slow to deal with streaming HD image quality then you should click on the HD icon (cogwheel) to go back to lower image resolution.
The information and calculators on this web site are supplied for free. We do not take legal responsibility for the consequences of any errors in the provided information or if any calculator delivers an incorrect output.
You can cite any information and use for educational purposes (or other purpose) but if you do you must refer to the page you cite. There are different conventions on how to cite a webpage:
Ronny Gunnarsson. About [in Science Network TV]. Available at: https://science-network.tv/about-this-site/. Accessed February 18, 2020.
Cookies and privacy statement
A common question is how do you make money to keep this site running. The answer is simple. I don’t. I have no income at all from this site. There are no adverts. It only cost me money to run this site. However, there are a few reasons for why I am running this site despite no financial gain:
- When I was new to research and constantly confused I had lots of interesting conversations with experienced researchers. Listening to their experience was very valuable to me. Having this website is one way of paying it forward.
- I am supervising many projects and higher degree students. Some topics tends to be discussed many times and having this site provides a foundation for some of these discussions. This site makes it easier to supervise many projects at the same time.
- I am always interested in discussing further research collaboration. This site makes it easier to find me and my research interests. You will find more about me and my research interests below.
About Ronny Gunnarsson
Research opportunities for higher degree research students
I have a focus on primary health care in my research. Current main areas of research for Ronny Gunnarsson:
- Diagnosis and management of the sore throat in primary health care.
- Common respiratory tract infections in primary health care.
- Evaluation of diagnostic tests.
- Non specific symptoms and suspicion of urinary tract infection in nursing homes for the elderly
- Evaluation of clinical interventions relevant for primary health care.
- Prognostic factors (risk factors) for adverse outcome.
- Individual Self-esteem and Transition to Adolescence with Respect (ISTAR).
Get in contact with Ronny Gunnarsson
I can unfortunately not answer questions related to research projects where I am not already part of the research team (simply no time). The exception is if you want to invite me to be a part of your research team or if you would like to have me as your supervisor. If that is the case please use email for the first contact. If that leads to further discussions please use the link below to book a video meeting.
Interview with Ronny GunnarssonClick to expand and read more about Ronny Gunnarsson
I have worked in Sweden as general practitioner for 20 years. During these years I engaged in research with topics usually found within primary health care. The first area of interest was upper respiratory tract infections with focus on the sore throat. A consequence was further research about the clinical value of diagnostic tests. Example of other areas of research interest is the transition from childhood to adulthood, whiplash-associated disorders (WAD), doctor’s behavior, assessment of the consultation, low back pain and supervision of PhD students. I took my medical degree (MD) in Sweden 1980. I became a certified General Practitioner in Sweden in June 1991. I took my PhD in 2001. A short summary with focus on research:
- Head of the Research and development (R & D) unit for primary health care and dental care in southern Älvsborg county, Sweden 1996-2011.
- Chairman of the local R & D Council of Southern Älvsborg County, Sweden 2000-2011.
- Member of the R & D Council for region Västra Götaland, Sweden 2007-2011.
- Member of the Steering Group for R & D Sjuhärad Välfärd, Sweden 2007-2011.
- Associate Professor in General Practice at Department of Public Health and Community Medicine at Gothenburg University, Sweden 2007-2011.
- Adjunct Professor (≈Collegiate Professor) in General Practice at Department of Public Health and Community Medicine at Gothenburg University, Sweden 2011-.
- Associate Professor in General Practice and Rural Medicine at Cairns Clinical School, College of Medicine and Dentistry, James Cook University, Australia 2012-2018.
- Member of the Research committee for College of Medicine and Dentistry, James Cook University, Australia 2012-2017
- Member of the Honours committee for College of Medicine and Dentistry, James Cook University, Australia 2012-2017 (being it’s chair 2013-2017)
- Member of Far North Queensland Human Research Ethichs Committee (FNQ HREC), Queensland Health, Australia 2012-2017.
Current teaching role
- Advisor (supervisor) of research projects done by academic registrars, General Practitioners or other staff working in Primary Health Care for Narhalsan VGR Sweden and Gothenburg University Sweden.
- Being advisor (supervisor) to PhD students at Gothenburg University Sweden.
Track record in supervision
|MBBS Research Honours||Masters by Research||PhD|
(3 as principal advisor)
(5 as principal advisor)
Current projects in the pacific region where Ronny Gunnarsson is one of the supervisors[RSSjb feed=”http://au.researchweb.org/is/jcu/document/rss?search=tutor%3A9+AND+%28form%3A110+OR+form%3A13281+OR+form%3A7611%29+AND+%28status%3A5-6+OR+status%3A8-9%29&limit=800″ num=”800″ pubauthor=”false” pubdate=”true” excerpt=”true” cachefeed=”3600″]
Current projects in Sweden where Ronny Gunnarsson is one of the supervisors[RSSjb feed=”http://au.researchweb.org/is/project/rss?search=tutor%3A9+AND+%28status%3A5-6+OR+status%3A8-9%29&limit=800″ num=”800″ pubauthor=”false” pubdate=”true” excerpt=”true” cachefeed=”3600″]
Completed projects in the pacific region where Ronny Gunnarsson was one of the supervisors[RSSjb feed=”http://au.researchweb.org/is/jcu/document/rss?search=tutor%3A9+AND+%28form%3A110+OR+form%3A13281+OR+form%3A7611%29+AND+status%3A7&limit=800″ num=”800″ pubauthor=”false” pubdate=”true” excerpt=”true” cachefeed=”3600″]
Completed projects in Sweden where Ronny Gunnarsson was one of the supervisors[RSSjb feed=”http://au.researchweb.org/is/project/rss?search=tutor%3A9+AND+status%3A7&limit=800″ num=”800″ pubauthor=”false” pubdate=”true” excerpt=”true” cachefeed=”3600″]
A more extensive CV with a publication list is found here.